Award Winning Competitive Program
In addition to the Recreational Program at Toronto Dance Industry Inc., we are proud to offer our highly regarded Competitive Program. In March 2007, Toronto Dance Industry Inc. was presented with the Honourary Award For Children's Programs by Terpsichore Dance Celebration. We are extremely proud to be recognized for our excellence in dance training, age-appropriate choreography, music and costuming, and for providing children with a solid education and background in the performing arts.
Competitive classes are organized in groups we call "Companies". During assessment, many factors determine a student's placement within a Company. Elements such as age, experience, technique, style, performance, coordination, flexibility, and class behavior are all considered, in addition to the student's ability to take direction and apply corrections. There is always a cross over of ages as all students are different, and we strive to accommodate each dancer's ability and potential. It is important that students are at par with the remainder of their Company so as not to hold back the rest of their group. A student placed in a Company which is too advanced cannot improve technically for struggling to keep up with the steps and choreography alone. Placement is at the discretion of the director and will not be changed.
Class Scheduling and Training Time
Mini Company requires a minimum of two hours of training per week. Petite Company requires a minimum of four hours, and all other Companies, a minimum of six hours training per week. Most students in the advanced levels train upwards of thirteen hours per week. Because of the extensive training time, class schedules are set as is with no fluctuation. The schedule is created to accommodate as many students as possible over the course of only two visits to the studio per week for core classes. Should you have late dismissals from school, other weeknight or weekend commitments, we may not be able to meet your needs.
Joining Our Competitive Program
Entrance to our Competitive Program is by either selection or audition. Should one of our instructors approach you regarding the Competitive Program, it simply entails that we recognize the talent, potential, and hard work that is displayed by your son or daughter. We are aware of their capabilities and feel that they are not being met as they could if he or she was to commit to our Competitive team. Even if no changes are made in your child's courses, you should be proud! Being part of the competitive team involves longer studio hours and great dedication and commitment from both the student and his/her parents. But in return, the rewards are endless:
- Students build great amounts of self-confidence, hard work, determination, and self-respect.
- Competition teaches students the discipline and attitude that is also needed in our day to day life.
- Lasting friendships for students and parents. Shared interests and valued opinions.
- Opportunities to work with well noted figures in the dance industry. Through adjudication and master classes we are critiqued. We grow and learn. We hear about what we've done well and how we can improve.
- We learn about team work and good sportsmanship. We learn how to win honorably and fall short graciously.
- There is no pressure in the world of competition with Toronto Dance Industry. It's not about winning or losing. It's about making your already enjoyable dance world, that much bigger -- and that much better.
Auditions are held each summer for students with dance experience looking to join our Competitive Program. To set up an audition, please call the studio 416.285.4470.